Child Loss:

For those seeking survival and joy after child loss.

Sunday, October 21, 2018

Sharing Time Together


This weekend, we took my aging parents to visit my mom's sisters.  Right now, everyone is healthy.  They're aging okay.  All of them may struggle with health issues now and again, but they're all doing okay.  For now. 

But I've lost.  I know that just because you can hug them today doesn't mean you'll still have them tomorrow.  I know that you need to take advantage of every chance you can to spend with those you love because, as the saying goes, tomorrow is not promised.  You can't know how many hugs you'll get before they're gone.  The recent brush with loss concerning my dad brought that home once again. 

I know we'll be family beyond this life.  But in order for forever families to mean anything, we need to build relationships today.  So we drove for miles to get together with my aunt.  I wish we would have had time to meet up with my other aunt, who lives near the one we visited, or my husband's aunt, who lives near another place we went.  Next time.  For now, I choose to focus on the moments we got to cherish bonding with and helping my kids bond with family.  And I choose to be thankful for what I have rather than brooding on what I didn't get or what I've lost.