Child Loss:

For those seeking survival and joy after child loss.

Sunday, December 31, 2017

Bearing Burdens



This holiday season wasn't as bad, emotionally, as some have been.  Mostly, it passed uneventfully, with a few twinges or moments that reminded me they were supposed to be hard.  I'd say that was a vast improvement.  Our practice of looking for people to help really made it easier to think of someone other than myself.  But other things helped as well.  

It also helped that people would show they were thinking of us and wishing us well.  I had people checking in on us, asking us how we were in the way that it was clear they really wanted to know.  I had a friend show up on my doorstep with a gift to add to my angel shelf.  That did bring a tear to my eye, in the very best way.  

We also prayed consistently for those who struggled more than we did, and there were many.  Someone I know sat beside the hospital bedside of her little girl as that toddler flirted with death.  Someone else I know struggles with a difficult pregnancy.  Several someones struggled financially or emotionally.  Others struggled through their worst Christmas ever as they mourned the recent loss of a loved one.  

Nothing helps with one's own burdens more than thinking of others or having others think of us.  Knowing that there is love and there are prayers help carry the difficult burden of a holiday.  Thank you to all who prayed for us and all those who gave us an opportunity to pray or serve them.  There is truly magic in bearing one another's burdens.