Child Loss:

For those seeking survival and joy after child loss.

Monday, June 20, 2016

The Death Date



I think most people remember the significant dates of their loss:birth date, death date, sometimes due date.  Those dates tend to bound off the page.  You start scheduling things for one of the months of one or the other of those dates [assuming there are two or even three], and that date tends to pop out at you wherever you go.

Such is the case for June 29th.  When I started that day six years ago this month, it was just another date, a date when I had a rare work day during the summer.   Now, it's become emblazoned on my mind as her death date.  Everywhere I look, there's the number 29: milk jugs, my work calendar, events... It's almost like there isn't another date in the entire month that matters because EVERYTHING seems to point to the 29th.  It's a trigger like no other, and it's everywhere.

Somehow, I have to figure out how to block out that one date, to forgive the number for its offensive existence.  I'm just not ready yet.    I'm sure I'm not the only one to whom this happens.