Child Loss:

For those seeking survival and joy after child loss.

Monday, August 15, 2016

Empathy



One of the things trauma and loss gives one is empathy.  Those who have not gone through serious, life-changing loss can sympathize, can reach out, can truly care.  But to really empathize, one really has to have been there.

I went to hear a presentation given by a woman whose child was taken hostage--along with the entire school--by a man and his wife just over thirty years ago in Cokeville, Wyoming.  This story was recently retold through the movie "Cokeville Miracle," which I highly recommend.  This is trauma.  After this mother presented her story of trauma as she faced the very real probability of losing her three children who were in that school, I went up to her and gave her empathy.  I did not go through the same situation, but I did go through trauma that threatened my family and/or members of my family.  We both had experiences of miracles involving angels protecting the family.  There was a time I would have found her story interesting.  Now, I see her story as a deeply personal one, something with which I could connect on multiple levels.

I'm not saying that most people want to suffer trauma and loss.  But after I heard her story, and she heard mine, we left as sisters in trauma.  We made an empathy connection I could have had with her no other way than through experience.  After moments like that, I feel thankful not as much for the trauma and loss itself but for the growth I've undergone as a consequence of life experience that allows me the empathy I may otherwise lack.  Loss is hard but the consequences and results aren't always bad.